All About Working In Canada As A Foreign Student

Key information that you need on working as a student in Canada

Many aspiring foreign students want to choose a study destination where they can work beside their educational experience. Canada is one such destination that is not only a welcoming and safe study destination for international students but also makes it easy for you to acquire a work permit as a student.

Generally, an international student can work less than twenty hours per week in Canada without a work permit. If you are one of the aspiring students considering Canada as your ultimate study destination, you have landed on the right page. But while all seems well, and easy, you need to get in touch with experts who make your quest for acquiring admission in a foreign land easy and probable.

Students in the developing countries, especially in the South Asian region, make it a point to consult a good agency around them to ensure they land acceptance in their desired universities. If you are from Pakistan, you have many reputable sources around you. You can easily get in touch with one of the best education consultants in Islamabad to increase your probability of getting admission and going through the tedious visa process hassle-free.

This article aims to provide information as to how you can work besides studying at a Canadian university as a foreign citizen.

Work while studying as a Canadian Student

Many students, when studying as international students want to work alongside studies, for varying reasons. Those who work while studying definitely enjoy an edge over their comrades and classmates. Key information that you need on working as an international student in Canada is as follows:

1. When can you get a study permit?

When you receive your letter of acceptance in a Canadian college or university, now you can apply for a work permit. Hence the prerequisite for a work permit is the selection and admission in the university and program of your choice.

2. Conditions for work with study permit?

You can get a study permit as an international student in Canada if you have the acceptance or placement offer from a university. You can even get a work permit in case of being enrolled in a post-secondary program. The only other requirement is a passport or the relevant travel document.

When you get a work permit, you can work full-time. This work permit is often required in case of cooperative placements which are the requirement of academic courses sometimes.

3. Kinds of work experience you can undertake in Canada:

Students may work on the campus where they have enrolled in a program or away from the campus. The work can be part-time or full time. It can be a requirement of your academic program or just complementary experience valuable for building an impressive resume.

Kinds of work you can expect to get are as follows:

a. On-campus

While you are studying at a Canadian university, you will have a study permit which allows you to work part-time. Working on-campus, as the name indicates, means you will be working in your university in one of the buildings within the premises.

You may also work as a research or teaching assistant at an institute which is part of your university but is located away in the city. Even if it is not physically present on the campus, you will still be working on-campus.

b. Off-campus

You may also work off-campus as a student in Canada. This includes working in the same city but outside the physical premises of your university campus. You will be allowed to work as a co-op student or as an intern at any organization away from the university campus.

You may even work with private business as a part-time or full-time employee. But full-time employment will require you to apply and get your hand son a work permit.

c. Internships

Internships are a kind of training that allows you to experience fieldwork by working in an organization. Sometimes these are a mandatory part of your academics. At others, you may opt for it only to gain some market exposure as well as decorate your resume.

d. Co-op Placements

These are cooperative programs that are like internships but are an integral part of your academic programs. You work at an organization and gain the credit points designated in your program. These are usually a semester-long.

If you get admission to a program that requires a co-opt placement experience, you will be lucky to work in the Canadian market and gain significant professional exposure of the field relevant to your study.

Looking towards Canada as your study destination?

It is good to aim for the stars but do take into account what you need to go through to achieve what you’ve set your eyes on. You need to seek the help of the professional consultants to get to know all about Canada which an international student must know. If you are from Pakistan, you have plenty of sources to choose from. You can easily get in touch with one of the education consultants for help regarding admission requirements and visa facilitation.

Career choices need your utmost care, so choose wisely!

Exit mobile version